How to Apply for a Passport
Whether you are applying for a brand new passport, renewing a passport, or just have some questions about applying, our staff are always here to help.
Renewing by mail
You can renew by mail using Form DS-82 if your most recent passport:
- Is submitted with your application
- Is undamaged (other than normal "wear and tear")
- Was issued when you were age 16 or older
- Was issued within the last 15 years
- Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)
2. Collect your supporting documents
- Citizenship evidence
- Proof of relationship (for children under 16)
The specific documents you need depend on what form you're using.
3. Get your photo (photo services on-site)
We can take your photo at the time of your appointment for a fee of $5/photo or you may bring a photo that meets the following requirements:
- Your head must face the camera directly with full face in view.
- You must have a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open.
- Taken in clothing normally worn on a daily basis
- Taken in the last 6 months
- Use a plain white or off-white background
- Be sized correctly
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm)
- Head must be between 1 -1 3/8 inches (25 - 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
- Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper
- Printed in color
- You cannot wear glasses.
- If you cannot remove your glasses for medical reasons, please include a signed note from your doctor with application.
- You cannot wear a hat or head covering.
- If you wear a hat or head covering for religious purposes, submit a signed statement that verifies that the hat or head covering in your photo is part of recognized, traditional religious attire that is customarily or required to be worn continuously in public.
- If you wear a hat or head covering for medical purposes, submit a signed doctor's statement verifying the hat or head covering in your photo is used daily for medical purposes.
- Your full face must be visible and your hat or head covering cannot obscure your hairline or cast shadows on your face.
- You cannot wear headphones or wireless hands-free devices.
4. Passport fees
- Calculate your Passport Fees
- Fee Calculator on Travel.Stale.gov site
- Acceptable methods of payment: personal check, money order, cashier's check
- Payable to: US Department of State
- Hawaii Community College Execution Fee
- $35 per Application
- Acceptable methods of payment: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, cash, check, money order
- Payable to: Hawaii Community College
5. Submit your completed form to our office. Call for appointment (808) 934-2700.
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE PASSPORT SITE